Fisher and Paykel are a New Zealand-born company with a truly global mindset. Our team originates from over 25 countries with a wide range of skills in over 60 industries.
As part of the Haier Group since 2012, we leverage Haier's global scale, supply chain, and logistics networks, as well as an incredible global innovation ecosystem.
What sets us apart as a global employer of choice, is the values, purpose, and vision that we strive to achieve, every day, for our people and our customers.
This role is responsible for the design and development of complex structural and dynamics parts of front load and top load washing machines, relating to the suspended assembly. This involves understanding the loading on components from a statistical range of customer usage habits, working with other subsystems to define viable solution sets, and designing complex parts to achieve a better laundry experience for our customers.
We need an expert design engineer with the required technical knowledge and skills to design, analyse and physically test complex structural and dynamic parts to create better products for our customers. You will be proficient in some the FEA tools such as Ansys / LS-Dyna, HyperWorks, MSC Nastran / Patran, NX Simcenter, Simulia; and CAD tools such as Creo, Solidworks, Fusion 360 or others.
If designing ground-breaking technology for the laundry industry with a data-driven approach is something that excites you, read on!
What you’ll do:
- Work with all stakeholders - mechanical and electronics teams in Fisher and Paykel Technologies and Fisher and Paykel Appliances and our customers to align on deliverables.
- Lead the design and development of critical parts relating to the dynamic assembly and structure of laundry appliances to meet requirements.
- Build prototypes and complete empirical testing to validate analysis and design.
- Lead dynamic, structural, modal, vibration and fatigue analysis of the existing and future design options to understand opportunities for optimisation and improvement.
- Investigate existing products issues to implement improvements in the areas related to dynamic structure.
- Mentor design engineers to improve their knowledge in the field of dynamic and structural analysis to allow them to design better products.
- Capture, record, share and use knowledge using reports, knowledge maps, limit, and trade-off curves.
- Investigate and research emerging structural / dynamic methods and technology.
- Work with external agencies to outsource elements of the research, design and testing for use in product development.
It is a given that you will have a Tertiary qualification in Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics Engineering. You will furthermore possess a substantial amount of experience in a hands-on capacity, in a similar role, preferably in the laundry industry. We are however willing to consider backgrounds such as defense, automotive or aviation with complex design work in, for instance, rotating assemblies and with the consideration of the impact on other systems and parts in the product.
Preferably you will have at least 10 or more years of end-to-end practical and physical design experience in a product development context, where customers were at the centre of every decision you made. This is not a pure simulation role.
If this sounds like you, don’t delay, we’d love to hear from you! We are after high-achievers, people who are mechanically astute, curious, open to sharing knowledge, learning more, and challenging the status quo!
Applications from offshore are welcomed, and relocation assistance will be considered.