Fisher and Paykel are a New Zealand-born company with a truly global mindset. Our team originates from over 25 countries with a wide range of skills in over 60 industries.
As part of the Haier Group since 2012, we leverage Haier's global scale, supply chain, and logistics networks, as well as an incredible global innovation ecosystem.
What sets us apart as a global employer of choice, is the values, purpose, and vision that we strive to achieve, every day, for our people and our customers.
This role is responsible for leading the development of dynamic control systems of Front Load and Top Load washing machines to improve their performance. This involves developing methodologies and algorithms that utilise data from the motor and other sensors to predict the effect on both clothes and product, and make decisions to stabilise the system and create a better laundry experience for our customers.
This position requires an expert in dynamics and control systems with the required technical knowledge and skills to achieve clearly defined business objectives. Ideally, you’ll have skills in the design of dynamic systems and closed-loop control systems, using analytical skills to test, mathematically model, or simulate aspects of performance, relate this to control system theory, and using tools such as LabView, Matlab / Simulink, Python, MiniTab, R-Studio, and data acquisition systems to generate data to validate analytical work.
If you love using data and your technical nous to design and develop innovative and industry disruptive products, please keep reading!
What you’ll do:
- Work with all stakeholders - mechanical and electronics teams in Fisher and Paykel Technologies and Fisher and Paykel Appliances and our customers to align on deliverables.
- Model and simulate existing and future design options to understand opportunities for improvement.
- Use DOE and data acquisition tools, as well as signal processing, data analytics, and science to validate theoretical work or spawn new ideas.
- Investigate existing product issues to implement improvements in the areas related to dynamic performance.
- Mentor design engineers to improve their knowledge in the field of dynamic control systems to allow them to design better products.
- Investigate and research emerging dynamics controls systems technology.
- Capture, record, share and use knowledge through the use of reports, knowledge maps, limit, and trade-off curves.
- Improve existing design processes from the early stages of design through to final implementation to improve design efficiency.
- Work with external agencies to outsource elements of the research, design, and testing for use in product development.
You will have a Tertiary qualification in Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics Engineering. You will furthermore possess a substantial amount of hands-on experience in a similar role, preferably in the laundry industry, though we are also considering backgrounds such as automotive or aviation with complex design work in, for instance, rotating assemblies and with the consideration of the impact on other systems and parts in the product.
You understand engineering design principles, systems, and processes; have a mechanical and curious mindset; you are inquisitive, love new ideas, and are continuously innovating and improving. Some experience with FEA and Simulation-Based Design is highly desirable as is exposure to Noise & Vibration testing and modeling.
With 10 or more years of end-to-end practical design experience in a product development context, where customers were at the centre of every decision you made, you thrive working on complex issues through to a resolution, with a deep interest in learning more about electric motors and rotating machinery design.
Keen to work on exciting projects, first of its kind, then please apply now!
Applications from offshore are welcomed, and relocation assistance will be considered.